Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Grammar 101

What if grammar weren't taught in school? What if it were something that one would have to learn by rote? I think that, if this were the case, we'd be in some serious trouble because English grammar has already been assailed by certain vernaculars such as Ebonics in the United States and Cockney in the United Kingdom. With that said, where do we begin to rebuild?

One would say that it's unwise that one start from the top and work his way down, but perhaps it's best that we just begin from the middle. I mean seriously, should we abase ourselves in such a way as to start from the bottom and work our way up? Perhaps we should have 16-year-olds, such as my neighbor, learn the difference between a noun and an adjective. I know for sure that my neighbor has no idea the difference because I have asked him before. With that little rant thoroughly prelected, let's begin with the main topic of this article—the definite and indefinite articles. Yeah, I'm retrograding to those old days of yore so here goes:

The: definite article in English that is used in front of words that begin with a consonant (compared to French, which has four different ones "le, l', la, les")

Example: The book is in my hand.

The (pronounced like "thee"): definite article in English that is used in front of words that begin with a vowel sound

Example: The owner is not here.

A: indefinite article in English that is used in front of words that begin with a consonant sound

Example: I have a problem with my car.

An: indefinite article in English that is used in front of words that begin with a vowel sound

Example: It's an honorable gesture.

Yeah, that was my big grammar article for today. I am seriously out of ideas. Perhaps someone can give me an idea as to what I should perorate about next time. I've done the subjunctive (more than once), I've explained gerunds and participles, I've done the predicate nominative, I've exposited on the perfects; I'm really out of ideas now. Oh well, until next time, take care everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment